Mobile Prosthetic Eye

  • For a prosthetic eye to be esthetically satisfactory, as well as matching the other eye with regard to color, shape and size, its motility should also be in harmony with its companion. Systems which allow coupling of the eye movement to the prosthesis have been developed for this purpose.
  • The basic principle here is to insert a porous implant into the cavity where the eye resided. The most frequently used material is the “hydroxyapatite” implant, made from sea coral which resembles the properties of the human bone after a special treatment.
  • After being surgically inserted into the cavity, blood vessels fill the pores and these implants almost become a living part of the body.
  • After vascularization is complete, a peg which will allow coupling of the movement to this sphere is inserted through a second surgical intervention.
  • The prosthetic eye is mobilized by means of a connection between the peg and an indentation formed on its posterior surface.
  • Promed Prosthetic Eye Center has been the first in our country to put into practice the prosthetic eye mobilized through insertion of a peg system. Even though approximately 75% of our patients who received a peg system are able to wear their mobile prosthetic eyes without a problem, pegs have increased the frequency of adverse events like infection in the remaining 25%. In order to avoid such problems, peg insertion has been temporarily abandoned to a large extent until a new and safer peg system is developed.
© 2012 Promed All Rights Reserved.
Abide-i Hürriyet Cad. Aykaç Plaza No: 203 D:14 Şişli / İstanbul | Privacy Policy